Sunday, December 11, 2011

(Almost) fixed back pain, and how it relates to 2 years off from open/free source tinkering hopefully over



Since I was a teenager I had issues with my back. Perhaps not so surprisingly, they always got worse not by doing "something" (physical like sports) but rather doing "nothing" (such as sitting at a desk, thinking, and/or coding uninterrupted for weeks of 16 hours a day if not more). Playing hockey once a week did not really help much. Over the years I did more and more of it, not only doing paid work or things that would initiate it, but also did large amount of tinkering and playing with open source stuff.

Finally, over two years ago, I had an extensive busy period at work, while starting software for a shutdown planning prospective business, and also playing and involved with Etoys, Squeak and other software that interests me.

Unfortunately the load also resulted in an extended period of back trouble to the point it was hard to even do my work. So about two years ago or so, I decided to quit everything but software I need to do for living to save the sanity of my back. I still did follow things like Etoys, but spent way less time. Also I started doing things to fix things - gym, five minute breaks, better posture, and general "being aware" when things go bad.

All that waiting seems to be working so I plan get back to do more things for fun. I started to investigate Google's Native Client as a way from the prison of "web architecture", ran into some early issues on Opensuse but that got resolved. I plan to look at Yoshiki Ohshima's Squeak port to Nacl and see if Etoys can run that way instead of in a plugin. Not quite a "commitment" but a plan.

No comments: